The main filming unit of ‘Jurassic World: Dominion’ will not be coming to Malta due to the mishandling of the COVID-19 situation, according to news announced by industry publications that confirmed news The Shift announced last week.
The portal for magazine ‘Variety’ announced on Tuesday that it will only be the second unit to film in Malta. The website said the shooting schedule will move from a first unit crew to a second unit following an outbreak of COVID-19 in Malta.
Health Authorities in Malta have confirmed that at least four crew members have tested positive for COVID-19.
Universal Studios told Variety that it will be working with an abundance of caution as it has done throughout this production: “The first unit will no longer shoot in Malta to keep our presence on the ground to a minimum.”
“We’d like to thank the Maltese government and Film Commission for all their support and we look forward to a successful shoot in this beautiful country,” the studios said.
Deadline.com, also confirmed that the stars of the production Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and Sam Neill will not be travelling to Malta.
This showed the futility of the announcement by Tourism Minister Julia Farrugia Portelli and Film Commissioner Johann Grech who launched a ‘welcome’ video – in Maltese – to promote their achievement in drawing to Malta an international production that would put Malta’s name on the international map.
The country has been a destination for major Hollywood film productions for a number of years and the high quality video was criticised as an effort at self-promotion at a time when both the Minister and the Film Commissioner are facing mounting criticism for decisions taken.
Over the years, no film production was singled out and given such promotion paid for through taxpayer funds that benefitted the Minister or the Film Commissioner.