in

‘Who are you going to call to remove this billboard in Brussels?’ – Il-Kenniesa

Daphne Caruana Galizia
Billboard at Schuman station, Brussels. Photo: Il-Kenniesa

In response to the Maltese government’s repeated removal of tributes to slain journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia at the Great Siege monument in Valletta, activist group Il-Kenniesa has put up a billboard at Schuman Station in Brussels calling for justice.

“The Prime Minister of Malta is responsible for several attempts to kill the journalist’s memory. Yet the people always find ways to stop him. Let’s see who he’s going to call to remove this billboard for Daphne in Brussels,” Il-Kenniesa said.

Tuesday marked one year since the journalist was assassinated in a car bomb outside her home. Events were held throughout the day to reinforce a-year long call for justice, ending in a protest in Valletta in front of the same monument that included the participation of international press freedom organisations.

“Justice Minister Owen Bonnici and other members of the government of Malta removing and destroying Daphne’s memorial over 20 times in the last year serves as a reflection of the continuous threats and harrassement she received from those same people,” activist Tina Urso said.

It was a point raised by Carles Torner, Director of Pen International, in his speech at the protest on Tuesday saying he had told the Maltese authorities to leave the protest memorial alone and that he must respect the people’s right to protest and mourn.

Il-Kenniesa said the billboard was funded by their friends and families “determined to keep her memory alive”.

Activists warn they will not give up until masterminds behind Daphne’s murder are identified

press freedom ngos Malta

‘Malta is not living up to its obligation to guarantee freedom of expression’